nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Planted in 2010 at BEYOND Vineyard and carmine jewel

  • From: Maria Schumann <mariaschu@vtlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Planted in 2010 at BEYOND Vineyard and carmine jewel
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 22:43:05 -0500

And I was proud of myself last spring when I planted 350 fruit trees, bushes, vines and nuts-- also all by hand, and most into sod, not a great idea but I was too impatient to wait a whole year. How did you do it all? Did you have help? After digging 350 holes I had a sore shoulder for months! I want to do another big planting this spring-- but I'm trying to hold myself back and instead take really good care of what I planted last year. Also want to wait and see how everything survived the winter-- not a great snow cover -- its all ending up in NYC. One night -30. And lots of potential rodent damage, we'll see.

I got 10 Carmine jewels from Bill Mackently last year-- they were not at all small -- around 4' with nice roots. I wanted to order 50 more from him this year, but when I called him 3 weeks ago, he thought he was out so I only ordered 10.... and now he still has some!

Maria Z 3/4