nafex - Re: [NAFEX] U Saskatchewan dwarf sour cherries

  • From: Sherlock Terry <sherlocksmith@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] U Saskatchewan dwarf sour cherries
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 09:16:41 -0500

I've had a couple of seasons with the USask cherries in Vermont. Here
are my early observations.

Crimson Passion-St L. 2008 (potted for one season and planted
2009)-sandy site 3/4 sun
Carmine Jewel-Gurneys (tissue culture?) 2009-fertile sandy site 3/4 sun
2xCarmine-St L. (own root?) 2010-fertile loamy site, full sun

All plants have lots of compost top dressing, and are limed (ph 6.5 or
a bit higher), mineralized (kelp, bone meal, greensand), and mulched.

So far I haven't been very impressed with any of these plants although
I'm hoping they are just slow to establish because the fruit sounds
amazing. All of my plants were very healthy when they went into the
ground.

The Crimson Passion was about 2' high and very thin (thinner than a
pencil) when it was set out. It has grown a bit and sent up one tiny
sucker. There has been no winter dieback but it got some kind of
disease or fungus this season and had some dieback midseason.

The Carmine from Gurneys was about 4" when it was put out. It grew
about 18" the first season and a bit less last season. It has not
bulked up much or suckered.

The two Carmine from St. L were about 18" high with a small root.
Neither of them seemed to grow much at all this season despite careful
attention. Both of the 2010 Carmine are close to black walnuts so
possibly juglone is an issue.

I have a lot of other prunus nearby (native and planted) and all are
fast growers and quick to establish compared to the USask selections.
Maybe growing the USask cherries in pots for a few years is a good
idea?

Hopefully my fall 2011 report will be more encouraging.

-Sherlock
VT