nafex - Re: [NAFEX] delaying apricot bloom

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@countryspeed.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] delaying apricot bloom
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 05:49:02 -0600

Howdy all,

Boob Purvis recommends applying a spray of potassium dextro-lactate when frost threatens open or near-open apricot flowers. He says it adds at least 5 F in blossom hardiness for frosts that threaten a night or two. It seems to help, although the first year I tried it I used too concentrated a solution---yeah, I know, more isn't always better---but more seems to work well for chocolate.

There was a talk that included this information at the MN NAFEX meeting a few years back.

Search the archives--I know I've posted on KDL before, but here are a few links:

http://davewilsonforums.com/index.php/showthread.php?p=1567

http://agro-k.com/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=category&id=18:l&Itemid=146
(See tech sheet)

Steve Herje, SW Wisconsin USA USDA zone 3-4

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>