nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Does the NAFEX Apricot Interest Group still exist?

  • From: Dan Nave <nave1@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Does the NAFEX Apricot Interest Group still exist?
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 13:37:10 -0600

Thanks Ron and Lon for the information.

What got me started on fruit was that I originally wanted to grow some apricots in my yard. I seem to have planted a selection of everything but apricots, although I did get a few Manchurian Apricots planted. I don't know if they will do anything here, or if I've planted them in a sunny enough location. I'm in St. Paul, Mn which should be zone 4a.

Bob Purvis writes in an article that:

"In the Upper Midwest, (MN, WI, MI), Dave Griffin and others have found Brookcot, M.604, Debbie’s Gold, and especially Westcot to be fully winter-hardy throughout Zone 3 and even into the warmer parts of Zone 2. Moongold has proven to be consistently more winter-hardy than Sungold although it is not as sweet, but these two cultivars are basically obsolescent in view of better ones now available. Furthermore, unlike the other four, they are not self-fertile. "

I'd like to get hold of one of these 4 self-fertile varieties, but I can't seem to find anyone selling them, quantity of 1...
If they are not available, I would like some advice on other varieties.

Also, I want to get something that is on the order of 12' to 16' tall rather than 25' tall. I have a specific space that I think would be good for apricot, but not for a 25' tree.

Dan