nafex - [NAFEX] planting trees around orchards

  • From: Richard MURPHY <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] planting trees around orchards
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 18:47:51 +0000

Hello Addicts;

I think it's a great idea to plant trees around the orchard for a deer fence and a wind break, and for beneficial insects to live.
Some trees should be avoided for various reasons. They are:

Apples:  Harbor apple pests
Cedar:   Cedar apple rust
Pears:   Fireblight
Hawthorne: Harbor apple pests
Walnut: Plant 50' away or more; allelopathic roots
Oak:  too slow
Plums: Harbor apple pests

Furthermore... the biggest expense in putting up my fence was Posts. Buying, digging, planting them.
The wire is fairly cheap. Trees instead of posts would have been Super if I'd planned ahead.

If you decide to make a fence of any of these (minus walnut) you need to spray them all.
I'm using Hybrid Willow in zone 4 and Siberian Elm in zone 6. No spray.

Please add your Worst and Best border trees to this email so we can share the info.

Murph

R A Murphy Jr