nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Zone 4/3 Blackberries; flavor

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Zone 4/3 Blackberries; flavor
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:41:57 +0000

Blackberries in south-central WI, where buying zone 5 stuff is a gamble, some
very nice wild blackberries exist but don't fruit every year. I note John
B's comment about roadsides. I think if snowdrifts cover the canes (in road
ditch, fencerow, etc.) this is a mulch which protects them from extreme cold,
drying, and the occasional dormancy breaking warm spell. We don't get this
much snow every winter. Soil makes a difference, or perhaps the ones
struggling in sand are just a thornier & smaller fruited species. And rain--
we had 5" above normal this summer, and brambles grew VERY well!

The wild blackberries are usually sweeter (sweet & musky-smokey), than the
wild black raspberries (more zippy sweet-tart). I like them both; I don't
notice much difference in flavor of either, clone to next clone. More flavor
dif in both from less ripe to more ripe.