nafex - Re: [NAFEX] stump dissolver

  • From: "Hector Black" <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] stump dissolver
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 08:08:13 -0600

I had some flowering quinces that just got too huge but couldn't dig them out.  I used carpet over the top after cutting them back to about 2 ft.  Shutting out all light seems to have done the trick.
   For stumps I've drilled 1/4 - 1/2" holes about 2-3 in. deep and 2 in. apart., filled them with ice cream salt. That seems to keep them from sprouting, but I've read Saltpeter in the holes will make the stump burnable in a few months time.
     Hector Black zone 6 middle tn.