nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Glyphosate 41

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: Nat'l Ass'n of Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Glyphosate 41
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 19:08:34 +0000

I actively birded for 25 years and often rubbed elbows with folks who'd ranged all over the continent and studied demographics, behavior and could tell me of first hand experience observing the effects of DDT. DDT breaks down rather readily into another compound, DDE, which takes a long time to break down further. Not only can DDE accumulate in the fatty parts of members of the food chain, it persists and becomes more concentrated by the simple addition of repeated feeding up that chain. Yep, eggs have been laid lacking any shell whatsoever and egg fertility reduced among eggs with shells, and just as important, DDE interferes with breeding behavior, so if a clutch fails the chances of a second brood are also greatly reduced. There have been cases, years ago, of raptors dying as a direct result of DDE accumulation in their bodies.
As I seem to dwell somewhere near the top of the food chain, I shudder to think how much DDE l may have ingested had DDT been as popular throughout my life as it was decades ago.

Now that DDT is no longer broadcast as it once was around here, Ospreys have returned to the Spokane river. I've encountered at least three breeding pairs myself. This year I observed breeding play of a pair of Bald Eagles in the Little Spokane river and saw a newly fledged baldy in mid-summer - the first in my life!
                                         Dave, E. WA, z6