nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mushroom Melanbopus

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mushroom Melanbopus
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 17:19:48 -0700

What I find really interesting is that all those fruiting bodies might have come from a single underground mushroom.   The Malheur National Forest in eastern Oregon is home to an Armillarea living under/within 2,200 acres.  It’s thought to be the largest living thing, and one of the oldest, at an age of perhaps 2,400 years.

I wouldn’t count on the mushroom reappearing.  Sometimes a single fruiting will exhaust the available food.  Mycellia can linger on, but will seek out other food, either growing underground or spreading their spores through the air.  I had a Stropharia patch that needed quite a bit of redressing after each flush.  I also inoculated the trunk from a fallen tree in our yard with Pleurotus, which produced one grand fruiting before a beautiful but toxic species moved in.

As far as whether one wants to see Armillarea, A. mellea is, imho, delicious, with a couple caveats:  not at all good or recommended raw, and some people cannot have it with alcohol.  It won’t kill you, but won’t be pleasant.

There seem to be two varieties – one that lives on dead tissue, and is probably a ‘good’ mushroom.  Another seems to be a killer, and just doesn’t want to wait for trees to die of other causes before moving in.

~ Stephen