nafex - [NAFEX] apple observation

  • From: Richard MURPHY <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] apple observation
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:25:08 +0000

Hello All;

In zone 4 Maine I have 105 apple trees.
In one row, I have 8 Hidden Rose, and 6 Sweet 16.
Both varieties actually cropped a little this year, despite the cold snap.
NOBODY got sprayed at all this season!!
Here's the odd thing; The Hidden Roses had Sooty Blotch and Fly Speck, head to toe.
The Sweet 16 apples in the same row were totally blemish free!
Is the sweet 16 immune to those fungii?
I had a couple hundred of each variety; 100% coherence in the data sample.
Any clue, anyone?

Also; The Williams Prides and Pristines were crawling with Apple Maggots this summer.
The Hidden Rose and Sweet 16 had no AMF at all. Just a few bird peck holes.

Apples that DID get whacked by late frost:
Summer Rambo, Pound Sweet, 20 oz., Wolf River, Golden Russet, MaCoun

Murph
R A Murphy Jr

  • [NAFEX] apple observation, Richard MURPHY, 09/30/2010