nafex - Re: [NAFEX] zone 4 pawpaw update

  • From: Robert Bruns <r.fred.bruns@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] zone 4 pawpaw update
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:51:52 -0400

To stratify pawpaw seeds, I put them in a plastic bag in the refigerator with the mucilaginous coating still on.  The coating gets rotten and moldy by springtime, and then it's easy to wash away.  I don't know if it makes a difference, but I never let them dry out.  I usually ship a few seeds to Seed Savers members, and I put them in a plastic zip-lock bag with a wet paper towel.

If it looks like there is going to be a hard frost, you might be able to take the fruit inside and let them ripen in  warm location.  I've never tried it, because even the later varieties ripen OK outdoors here.

Fred
central Indiana
Zone 5b