nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nafex Summer pruning

  • From: oowonbs@netscape.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nafex Summer pruning
  • Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 16:47:52 -0400

Bill L...

Let me be very general.
When transplanting, it is ASSumed, that one damages SOME small amount of hair roots
that are unseen, and one removes 1/4 of the top, to accomodate, if 1/4 is estimated to be a rot loss.

Next, it is also assumed, that sap is sent to the rots in the fall, from the top, for spring energy.
More foliage, more energy.

That said, summer pruning is now not in huge disfavor, as was the case decades go,
but that one may prune the 1/4-1/3 max amount, over the course of the year,
dormant season, still somewhat favored. I spread mine over the course of the year, personally.

I'm not a pro, nor have "acres" with with to deal, in a time $en$itive manner.
DO check and see if there's a certain regimen for pruning "old wood" and where berries
will come in the future. With blueberries, there is an old wood "rule." Remove it all, and no
berries. Leave it all, and have a poor crop, too, eventually.

;>)
BillSF9c

Even when the wound has dried up it can catch fungal spores and hold > them until wet periods like in spring. Prunus is especially bad for > fungus in the wood.OK, but in that case, wouldn't I be better off pruning now, rather than waiting for dormant pruning? After all, in either case, the wound won't be healed by spring. But it might be a LITTLE further along if I prune now.One way or another, I HAVE to prune these trees, either now or later.Note that it's almost September, and I still haven't pruned these last few trees, so I don't know if I'll get to it, anyway. Frankly, just picking everything is taking all my time. But that's not a bad problem to have, I suppose. :-)Thanks!BillLincoln, NE (zone 5)http://garthright.blogspot.com/-- It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it. - Upton Sinclair-------------- next part --------------An HTML attachment was scrubbed...URL: