nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pear Thief

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pear Thief
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 06:18:37 -0400

My gray squirrels took all the apples off my trees this year.  So your squirrels might be better behaved than they could be.

I had bagged about 2/3 of the apples.  The squirrels didn't leave any debris taking the unbagged ones, and I hadn't noticed they were going away until I started finding bagged apples and chewed-up bags on the ground, and looked to find that there were no unbagged apples left on the tree.  I never actually saw a squirrel with an apple, but I did see:

Squirrel-sized tooth marks in the bags
Bags left at the base of oak trees
Apples dropping out of oak trees that I heard squirrels in.

Yes, when I startled the squirrels by checking out "their" apple tree, they dropped apples on my head.

I have always enjoyed watching squirrels, and don't think I have the heart to kill them.  I am very sad about the apples, though.

Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6