nafex - [NAFEX] Trees not fruiting

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Trees not fruiting
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 09:07:19 -0500

mIEKAL wrote, "All, I know is I planted 4-5 Washington Hawthornes about 15 years ago & have never seen any fruit on them tho the trees themselves seem healthy & full grown."

Whenever anyone asks me a similar question about their trees, I recommend either or both of two procedures: Do you fertilize your tree? Fertilized trees may not bear fruit until their available nitrogen is reduced to that which comes with rain. If excess nitrogen is not the problem, use a spade to cut a slit in the ground all the way around the drip-line - I don't know why this works but folks have had positive results by doing it.

Jim Fruth
4002 Davis Street
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472