nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple pests and drops?

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple pests and drops?
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 15:52:37 -0500

Steve,

I know orchard sanitation is a big deal. But practically speaking, it's
pretty labor intensive to pick up all that fruit.

I've toured lots of commercial operations and they have fruit laying all
over the ground. I suspect this is probably the norm because I've read
commercial publications recommending fungicide applications hit the fallen
fruit below the trees.

I used to pick up all the fallen fruit, but now, if I walk past a tree and
need to remove some fruit, I toss it on the ground. The ground under my
trees is littered with fruit, just like commercial operations I've seen.

In our hot KS sun, they degrade fast. I do try to squish them when I walk
through the orchard. My mowing equip squishes a lot of them too. I suspect
worm larva don't enjoy that.

Mark