nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ernest's Evans cherries

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ernest's Evans cherries
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 18:43:49 -0400

Ernest, grafted trees from commercial sources would probably be grafted on Mazzard or Mahaleb. If I remember rightly you are in a particularly cold area of northern Minnesota. I would expect your temperatures to damage (in a warm winter unless with heavy snow cover) or kill either Mazzard or Mahaleb. Mahaleb is fussy about good drainage, likes a coarse subsoil. Any hardy rootstock readily available cheap to a comercial nursery is likely to suffer from compatibility problems. The only rootstock I can think of that *might* suit is Prunus X Dropmoreana, Frank Skinner's creation. Forty years ago East Malling did some work with it as a stock for sweet cherries, and from what I recall reading, some clones of it were compatible with sweets and some were not.

If your sources were what I would consider fully competent and honourable, they would have told you what rootstock they were using - unless maybe they were afraid their competition would find out about it.
This kind of competitive pressure is one of the curses of the nursry business. It's extremely hard to know if your supplier is understandably secretive, or crooked or irresponsible.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Ernest Plutko wrote:
"Before" means before I buried grafts. I was not doing a research
study. I was just trying to get trees to live through winters. I
bought trees from several sources. Local and mail-order. It is
possible burying graft is just protecting graft from winter cold. This fall I will probe around buried trunks to see if roots have
grown from Evans trunks. I'll look up Evans own-root sources and let
you know.