nafex - [NAFEX] Hand Pollination Question

  • From: Sherlock Terry <sherlocksmith@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hand Pollination Question
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 12:14:53 -0400

I have a three year old Patten pear with a few flower buds that are just opening but I don't think my other pear tree is ready to flower this year. I have access to another pear tree which has started blooming at a friend's house in a nearby town. Can someone please describe how to collect pollen from one tree to pollinate another? I've tried to collect the pollen with a cotton swab, but I'm not seeing anything on the tip. Does that mean that maybe the pollen isn't shedding yet?

Thanks.

-Sherlock
Z4 VT