nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Haskap seed stratification

  • From: Bob Bors <bob.bors@usask.ca>
  • To: 'North American Fruit Explorers' <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Haskap seed stratification
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 20:14:07 -0600

Using seeds of Russian varieties I tried 3 treatments:
1. Planting immediately after removing from fruit
2. Dried but in a fridge for 6 weeks
3. Dried at room temperature 6 weeks

The best treatment was # 3. Perhaps 2x the fridge seeds and 10 the
immediately planted seeds.

But when I tried seeds gathered from the wild in Canada I got very poor
germination of around 5%. Using only treatment 3.
I have some wild Canada seeds stratifying with damp peat moss that I hope
I'll remember to take out and see if that improves germination.

Dr. Bob Bors
Assistant Professor
Head of the Fruit Program
University of Saskatchewan, Plant Sciences Dept.
51 Campus Drive, Room 2C02
Saskatoon Saskatchewan, S7N 5A8

Fruit program website:
http://www.fruit.usask.ca