nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Availability of grafting wood from government repositories

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: Clifford Cain - uk yahoo <cc_syorks@yahoo.co.uk>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Availability of grafting wood from government repositories
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 16:12:51 -0700 (PDT)

Interesting.  I know that the treaty has been a bit of a bone of contention with the USDA and other countries (e.g. China), simply *because* the USDA NPGS does not charge, and gives access to its collections openly and freely.  With China, the situation is that USDA scientists cannot get permits to collect in China and bring back material because China wants to restrict access to material that originated in their country.  The feel that if someone develops something valuable from germplasm in their country that they should get some compensation, rather than just giving it to anyone who asks.  If USDA signed MTAs with China restricting access to those materials and ensuring this, they would then be allowed to collect there.  It sounds like with everyone heading in that direction it may become even more difficult to share germplasm in the future :-(

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon
www.Mdossettphoto.com