nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Availability of grafting wood from government repositories

  • From: david.maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: Clifford Cain - uk yahoo <cc_syorks@yahoo.co.uk>, nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Availability of grafting wood from government repositories
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 19:33:33 -0300

My official did indeed cite the International Treaty as justification for his position.  I have responded to him that this very treaty mandates provision of germplasm to the amateur group, (at least if it is not available commercially),  insofar as the wording is:

 " The Treaty aims at:

# recognizing the enormous contribution of farmers to the diversity of crops that feed the world;
# establishing a global system to provide farmers,(my emphasis), plant breeders and scientists with access to plant genetic materials;

He has not responded as yet.  Unfortunately I am not sure the background in our case is as simple as a bureaucratic interpretation of the wording of a treaty, and I am not sure that rational argument is going to carry any weight.  Interestingly the Canadian authorities required that I sign a Standard Material Transfer Agreement, but seemed to regard this as nothing more than a bureaucratic formality, rather than a real obstacle.