nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Liveland Raspberry Apple

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Liveland Raspberry Apple
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 15:38:14 -0400

If you will forgive me some futile nitpicking, I think that "Livland
Raspberry" is probably the most nearly correct name. Livland (I think from the Swedish and German) or Livonia was a territory of variable extent but centered around what we now know as southern Estonia and northern Latvia, ruled by a crusading German knightly order, then by Sweden, then from about 1710 by Russia.

Livland Raspberry has been used to some extent in breeding in Canada and the northern U.S. states.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Sarah Kehler Ewing wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a Canadian source for the Liveland Raspberry/Lowland
Raspberry apple. I want a couple trees or some budwood and would greatly
appreciate some help in locating this variety.

I would also enjoy hearing from folks with some experience in growing or
eating this apple.

Sarah zone 3
Edmonton, AB