nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fresh woodchips are fine

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fresh woodchips are fine
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:51:36 -0500

Fresh wood chips as landscape cover is fine. But as an additive to enrich garden soil or soil for tree planting I'd submit they should be well rotted.

Would you want to use wood chips as a soil additive anyway? I'm certainly no expert, but I thought I've heard they'd deplete the nitrogen in the soil as they continued to rot. (As a layer on top, they'd do the same, but only at the surface.)

Just wondering. I've been using a lot of wood chips for mulch (landscape cover, as you say), but nothing else. For that matter, I only put leaves and other plant debris on top of the soil, too, not mixed into it.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
Look, there has always been something like terror in the world; anarchists, liberationists of various stripes, revolutionaries, and of course just plain criminals, like the ones that explode bombs among the general population because they have some grievance with the world. And yet, we had liberties for a while, which we gained while terror was around. How did we deal with it? We used the law, and good old police work. - John Wilkins