nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting native crabs

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting native crabs
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:25:22 -0600

Keith,
I've grafted a large-fruited native crab(M.coronaria,
I suspect, but may be M.ioensis, or even a hybrid
with domestic apple) selection my Dad found in AL,
and what I suspect is 'Bechtel', a M.ioensis
selection, onto volunteer seedling crabs, but have
not used the native crabs as rootstock.

I have grafted a few pears onto hawthorn, just for
fun. Had Ubileen on C.crus-galli for nearly 10 years
before my wife bulldozed it. Never got more than 5
ft tall, the pear was easily twice the diameter of
the hawthorn rootstock - I eventually staked it for
support, as I was afraid it might break over, but it
seemed well-anchored, and that may have been
unnecessary. Still have an old unidentified Southern
pear on cockspur hawthorn that is over 10 yrs old -
about 7 ft tall - looks like one of those colonnade
apples.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY