nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting native crabs

  • From: <jelie@new.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting native crabs
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:31:31 -0500

Hello

I am planninng some interspecies grafting projects for this year. I am going
to graft serviceberry on cotoneaster rootstock. A mountain ash in the yard
is going to be cut back and something a bit more useful (serviceberry, pear,
chokeberry, or Shipova) grafted on that rootstock. I have some damson plums
which may also go away, leaving their more useful rootstocks, for an apricot
graft or two. I do have several species of hawthorne around and may
eventually try them for something as well.

My success with grafting has been very good so far and I am just curious to
push the limits a bit. In the past year, I read, somewhere on the internet,
of someone having grafted maybe six members of the Rose family to a single
rootstock. If I locate that article again, I will put up the email address.

Please post any further results from your grafting and I will do likewise.

Best of Luck,

Jim Elie
Green Bay, WI
zone 4/5