nafex - Re: [NAFEX] off topic: computer virus

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] off topic: computer virus
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 15:12:53 -0800

Dan,

I haven’t had success with Malwarebytes; I believe there are some fake sites that a scam (as Ernest says and I agree with)/virus (I would call such programs a virus that also scams you) will point you to.  There seem to be some infected versions as well.   Running from safe mode is great advice.

One problem with viruses is that some of them can disable existing antivirus software, at least until the software is updated.  I’ve liked Dr. Web Cure-It because it is tests extremely well, and has removed some very intransigent malware.  The free version does need to be manually updated.  AVG will update automatically and will scan your email for viruses.  I downloaded Avira so I could transfer it onto an another infected computer.  The virus there had disabled three other antivirus programs, and seemed to be hijacking another.  I leave one antimalware program resident (auto updating) but keep others at the ready.

Ernest, I think you’re spot-on.  I know there are other great antimalware programs.   I see the for-pay version of Superantispyware updates automatically, which I think is important.  I’ve tested it before, and it seems very good.  I began to be curious when beta testing Windows Defender and comparing it to other programs.

~ Stephen