nafex - [NAFEX] Sam Powers

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Sam Powers
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 19:28:57 -0600

Sam Powers of Santa Fe, TX died this morning from complications of bronchitis.  He was a long-time member of NAFEX, a subscriber to this listserv, sub-tropical climate fruit expert and generous soul who always gave you a plant or fruit when you visited.  He was always pushing jujubes and taught many to savour the fruit, which is much akin to dates when dried.

He also recently wrote the book, Our Edible Landscape, Fruits of the World for your Backyard, published by the Texas AgriLife Extension Service.  Free downloads are at:

If you know Sam and want to extend your sympathy to his family, including wife Ginger, his partner in life, horticulture and hi-jinks, services will be held at Hayes Funeral Home in Santa Fe, TX on Thursday.  I'm sure they will have an online memory book.

It's with heavy heart I report Sam's passing to you.  I learned so much from the man and enjoyed gallons of his Brazos blackberries, bags of peaches and even came to love jujubes.
Doreen Howard

  • [NAFEX] Sam Powers, Doreen Howard, 01/03/2010