nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Are all rhubarbs the same?

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@countryspeed.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Are all rhubarbs the same?
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 09:22:40 -0600

When I bought my house from Old Lady Hackl 18 years ago she had (and I still have) a variety she called 'wine rhubarb' It has very little vigor and I almost lost it because I didn't yet appreciate rhubarb and I let grass overwhelm it. I also have a typical giant rhubarb that goes to seed, etc. About five years ago I transplanted the wine rhubarb to the garden and babied it. It produces pretty well now on a plant that's about as wide across as a leaf of the big one. In a rhubarb custard pie the wine rhubarb is spectacularly better tasting. It's the difference between having a piece and eating the whole pie in a sitting. It's one of those things that is so perfect that it could only get worse, so make the most of it.

I have no idea of the name or original source. Dorothy is a hundred and something and lives in town now. I suppose I could get in touch with her to see if she knows more, but probably won't

Steve Herje
Lone Rock, SW WI Usda zone 3-4, where it's 12 below this morning.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt Demmon" <mdemmon@gmail.com>