nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Are all rhubarbs the same?

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Are all rhubarbs the same?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 14:38:57 -0500

I planted 3 different types of rhubarb, 2 red (Valentine+ 1 other I forget), 1 green (Victoria). Victoria flowered, reds didn't. Definite but subtle differences in taste. Victoria was certainly a bit more tart, but with different "strawberry" type nuances once cooked. Tartness is not that much of a problem, it helps define the rhubarb experience in my mind, especially when mixed with sweet fruits such as strawberrys.

The best way I found was to harvest all three types at the same times and cook or freeze a mixture of all 3. Wonderful pie, yum!

Only problem: I planted them in amended clay and in the beginning they were flourishing. However, with all the rain we had last summer I think they became waterlogged and the crowns have rotten. One is definitely dead, don't know if I can save the other types.

Good Luck!

Caren
Quebec.