nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Baltimore City Fruit Tree Plantings

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Baltimore City Fruit Tree Plantings
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 17:20:36 -0500

I have actually had some quite decent fruit, with fantastic flavor, from unsprayed Harlayne apricot. This might especially be true in locations isolated from other stone fruits, which might not attract as many pests. -- Harlayne did significantly better for me, and had much better flavor, than Hargrand or Harogem; though this might well be site-specific.

This far north it doesn't meet the long-lived criteria; but I don't know about Baltimore, which is considerably south of me; stone fruit in general is not long lived here. I have no idea how they'd stand up to city-specific stresses, though; or whether Harlayne is actually adapted well to Baltimore climate, though if your local orchards are recommending it than I expect it is.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly