nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Baltimore City Fruit Tree Plantings

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam (MPCA)" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Baltimore City Fruit Tree Plantings
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 10:47:48 -0600

Greg, I’d be inclined to agree that pear is the one tree crop that might produce acceptable fruit without being sprayed.  In my experience, pollination of Magnus is so unpredictable that I think you’d be better off not suggesting that variety.  USDA has newer cultivars that are resistant to fireblight.

Have you considered fruits that are not common but may be suitable for a trial like this?  In some cases there is no dwarfing rootstock, but trees could be trained in first few years so most fruiting branches are near the ground.  Crops such as oriental persimmon, jujube, mulberry, and cornelian cherry come to mind, as well as possibly some nut crops. – Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.