nafex - Re: [NAFEX] 'Very Berry' wintergreen

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] 'Very Berry' wintergreen
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 06:26:12 -0800 (PST)

Melissa,  I bought one of these at a local nursery in the fall of 2008.  Definitely a very beautiful, very fruitful plant.  I kept it as a houseplant through the winter, but kept forgetting to water it and eventually lost it before spring.  I purchased another wintergreen this late summer, which I believe is also the very berry type and have planted it out.  It continued to bloom prolifically and set fruit and is doing well.  I have it in my lingonberry bed, which is nearly 100%peat, with a small fraction of sand and soil mixed in.  This bed is also screened with normal window fiberglass screen to limit sun and pests.  I believe the screen is an important factor in its healthiness, as other wintergreen's have failed quickly without the screening.  I'd give it a go if you are curious, as I have never seen wintergreen with this many fruit or flowers.  Of course, this could always be an artifact of how the plant was raised and treated before marketing.  That was my assumption until I read your post and checked the site you referenced.

John