nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Watering young trees in winter

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Watering young trees in winter
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:47:53 -0800 (PST)

I would echo what Stephen says but would also add a caveat. Here on the west
coast we have very dry summers. The rains that end here sometime in mid-June
don't start again until mid-September. It doesn't cause a late surge in
growth and hardiness problems. The caveat is that even further north and a
little bit further inland from here, it still doesn't get cold enough where I
would expect really bad freezing damage anyway.

My gut feeling is that drought stress on the tree going into winter is just
as bad if not worse than watering the tree "too late". Not only that, but
late summer and fall is the time when the tree is initiating flower buds for
next year. I know in many of the small fruit crops it has been shown that
late summer water is actually very beneficial for the next year's crop. I
wouldn't be surprised if the same is true for tree fruits. I think if you're
very concerned about it I wouldn't saturate the soil but I would make sure
that there is enough there to keep the tree going and in good condition going
into the winter.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon