nafex - [NAFEX] Watering young trees in winter

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Watering young trees in winter
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:42:27 -0500

As I lost my young peach and my apple tree this spring I am becoming increasingly paranoid. I do believe that the freakishly dry April we had may have had something to do with their demise.

Now I have a young plum and pear as well as 2 more apples. November is turning out to be freakishly beautiful and dry here, with a very late Indian summer.  Usually their would be no complaints from me as otherwise it's quite a miserable month.  However I am starting to be seriously concerned about the lack of moisture for the young trees.

I know at this point they should be going into dormancy and thus less water is a good thing. But last week we had temperatures around 10 deg C (50F) and it's only rained once in the last 2-3 weeks. Now it's starting to get a bit colder (-5C/ 23F this morning) but still the sun is out and it will probably start climbing back up to mid 40sF.

Should I be out there watering my trees or would that be potentially damaging?

Any advice appreciated as I really want to give them the best possible chance of surviving.

Caren
St. Jerome, QC
Ag Can Z4b