nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mirabelle

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mirabelle
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:01:03 -0500

Claude, how does the Quebec Damas compare with Mount Royal for coldhardiness?

Is the Damas one clone, a group of clones or a seedling line?

I think one should be careful of the rootstocks for hardy plums. The seedling Myrobalans that used to be used in the nursery trade in Southern Ontario were not reliably hardy in zone 6a without heavy snow cover. Yet, according to "Trees and Shrubs of the Dominion Arboretum" the Arboretum had (perhaps still has) a strain of Prunus cersifera (Myrobalan) which was hardy at Ottawa.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada