nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, was Re: Staking of immature fruit trees

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, was Re: Staking of immature fruit trees
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 23:17:50 -0500

Doug Woodard wrote:
>Stanley is a shade hardier than Mount Royal (though liable to black
>knot, and from my limited observation not very good quality on peach
>soils at least for fresh eating) and if I remember rightly it came from
>a cross between Prune D'Agen and Grand Duke; (I forget the direction)
>i.e. old European plums.

I am not so sure about the hardiness of Stanley, as I had one and it died.
I can't guarantee it's the cold that killed it however. But my feeling is
that Mont-Royal is quite hardier. Your memory is right about the genealogy
of Stanley - Grand Duke is an old English plum mainly used for cooking - is
it grown in Ontario?
Claude