nafex - [NAFEX] Fall Blooming Honeyberry

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fall Blooming Honeyberry
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 05:32:51 -0800 (PST)

One of my honeyberry plants insists on blooming 2 times a year.  In late summer, it drops all the leaves, then in late October, burst into bloom.  This started about 3 years ago and each year the number of blossums increases over the previous year.  Last year, I had a single lone fruit on it, implying some tendency to self-fertility.

None of my other honeyberry plants do this.  I was wondering if any other honeyberry growers have seen this kind of behavior and how unusual this may be.  It would be nice to be able to get a fall crop, but the flowering has so far been a little late to fully ripen berries.

Thanks

John