nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pawpaw beer?

  • From: "Naomi Counides" <naomi@oznayim.us>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pawpaw beer?
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 09:54:23 -0600

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/pawpaw.asp

And there is Mead!!!.    You could do a couple of gallon jugs and try variations.. the wine and one with honey for mead.  You could increase the pawpaw content.. I would.  My brewing mentor told me that if I wanted it to taste like water, use water.. if I wanted it to taste like fruit.. use fruit.

We had a frost two nights ago and I am unloading the plum trees.  I already made 3 gallons of mead from the early plums… It turned out nice.  No off flavors but too harsh with alcohol. Time will work that out.

This time different plums and some star anise.   Still have one more tree and one more carboy.. thinking rosemary.  Might add a bit of lemon to one, the other, or both.

OT: Idaho is changing the dairy regs to allow small herd sales for human consumption.  They are really doing this right.  Will be testing finished product for cleanliness (bacterial counts etc).  Meeting tonight with head of dairy division of Dept of Ag to explain and answer questions. I am excited and delighted.

Naomi

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment.  Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions."
 ..... Albert Einstein