nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Illinois Everbearing mulberry

  • From: "Hector Black" <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Illinois Everbearing mulberry
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 11:29:32 -0500

Hey Mike - We're great lovers of the Ill. Everbearing. They are hard to root, hence grafting seems best. We use white or Asian mulberry as rootstock. My daughter has them at Hidden Springs Nursery (go online for catalog).
We have had them for near 30 years and notice that the branches break easily. Storms and deer browsing. Pollarding was suggested on the list some months back, and that sounds a good idea to me. The berries are larger on strong young growth. I would think letting a small frame develop after about 4 ft height, and pruning branches off after about 3-4 years of bearing might work - but I have never done this. I've tried but the deer break off the lower branches chewing the leaves. Keep the trees low for easier picking. Birds love them, by the way - the fruit that is.
Makes a fine wine - it you are interested. Happy growing. Hector Black (zone 6 Middle TN)

----- Original Message ----- From: "mIEKAL aND" <qazingulaza@gmail.com>