nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pluots and Plumcots

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pluots and Plumcots
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 19:55:01 -0700

The trick, according to Floyd Zaiger, is to grow the parent trees in a greenhouse where you can maintain constant temperatures. When a plum is pollinated with an apricot (or vice versa) the pollen tube grows more slowly in the style of the other species. Outdoors, cool nights could make the flower abort before the egg is fertilized. In constant 60 + F night temps and 70 to 75 day temperatures, the pollen tube can grow fast enough to fertilize the egg in time. So if you want to cross different species, start some in big pots and bring them into a greenhouse for the cross.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/