nafex - [NAFEX] Pluots and Plumcots

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pluots and Plumcots
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:30:30 -0700

I visited with some people I know at Dave Wilson nursery yesterday and learned something interesting about plumcots, pluots, etc. DW handles a lot of the Zaiger pluots and plumcots, so they have a good deal of experience with them.
Point is, I mentioned finding a seedling of a plumcot that held it's fruit well. The fellows at DW say that's actually a common trait of pluots, etc. It comes through from the apricot side of the parentage.

And while I'm at it, does anyone know of work to breed hardy plumcots? Most plumcots and their descendants seem to be from California work, but there's no reason there couldn't be crosses between much hardier plums and apricots. Perhaps at some northern breeding program.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/