nafex - Re: [NAFEX] companion planting for space

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] companion planting for space
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:11:53 -0400

To add more information about the previous posting about interplanting veggies with fruit trees, I would like to mention that
1 - my apple trees are on a hillside facing south
2 - I plant a squash on the south side, the trees are semi dward or under as far as size goes, and no there are not too much shade. For the very shady trees, it would be necessary to plant a little further from the trunk, drip line for instance. I plant just about any type of trailing squash that would take space. This year, I have hubbards, emerald cup (a smaller turban type (2 lbs)), butternut, acorn, vegetable marrow. The zuchini (on a bush) stays in the garden. Last year, I had squashes until May, all grown around apple trees.
3. It forced me to improve the soil around the trees, which is of course very beneficial for the trees on the long run. (I had poor gravely soil, to begin with).
For each squash plant, I turn in a bucket of compost with manure mixed in with 1/4 cup lime as squash like a high ph... I also mulch the squash, which also mulch the tree although I don't like straw or vegetation too close to the trunk as I have to watch for borers...
4. I do not spray the trees... except dormant oil.

Hélène, zone 3-4
----- Original Message ----- From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>