nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Snakes in raspberries

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Snakes in raspberries
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 10:06:10 -0500

Thanks for the comments. Lots of possibilities, apparently!

The snake wasn't in a place where it could get sun - the raspberry patch would be a terrible choice for that - but maybe it wouldn't know that before climbing up there. It just seemed so odd. I assumed that it was after prey, but I couldn't imagine what (note that I've NEVER seen a frog or a toad in my yard, in 25 years).

Well, a snake's view of things is likely to be different than mine, but I could see it being safer there than on the ground. And I didn't think about bird's eggs. I imagine they would be a tasty snack for any snake that could find a nest.

Thanks again. I just wondered.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The door of a bigoted mind opens outwards so that the only result of the pressure of facts upon it is to close it more snugly. - Ogden Nash