nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Snakes in raspberries

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Snakes in raspberries
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:14:41 -0700

My son Chris is an expert on snakes so I asked him. Here's what he said:

"Given the size of his snake and timing of the sighting, it's probably a gravid female. They often climb or crawl onto perches from which they can get the most sun, in order to incubate their babies. Remember, they give live birth. This time of year, garter snakes across all but the southern states are gravid, and close to giving birth. The well-developed embryos greatly reduce their mobility, and they are in a hurry to get the babies out!

The other thing is that, in addition to slugs and earthworms, garter snakes will eat frogs (e.g., tree frogs), lizards, mice, and selected insects. So it may have been chasing a prey you didn't see.

My $.02! :) "

-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/