nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blueberries in CA

  • From: "JAMES ELIE" <tomelzear@earthlink.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blueberries in CA
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 20:29:11 -0500

Hey John,

Have you considered the half-high varieties such as those offered by Oikos Tree Crops or St Lawrence Nursery.  Coming from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan I have downed quite a few wild blue berries and the half -highs sound like they may have the best qualities of the wild and commercial varieties.  I now live in Wisconsin and have tried growing them down here but the clay soil and the warmer summers do not seem to be their friends.  I gave my six plants to a friend in the Escanaba Michigan area.  He seems to be having much better luck (putting the blueberries back in their native habitat helps) but neither of us may be as discriminating  when it comes to blueberry flavor.  For us, picking the wild berries was always a lot of work.  Even with the wild blueberries across the back of his property, he never gets back there when they're in season.
Anyway, they sound like a nice option if its possible to get that wild blueberry taste in a taller bush with a larger berry.

Good Luck,

Jim