nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blueberries in CA

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blueberries in CA
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 13:44:00 -0400

Its nice to know that the blueberry industry is flourishing. It is a good tasting and wholesome berry. Unfortunately, it won't find a buyer in me. Call me a blueberry snob if you will, but the taste of cultured berries does not equal those from the wild. (but then, I like black currents so I might be biased). I was raised on wild blueberries; smaller than the cultivated ones, and according to some studies I have read, higher in antioxidant composition. I am in Ontario where the Canadian Shield dominates a good portion of the geography - much of it prime blueberry habitat. My weekend pancakes and crepes wouldn't be the same without a handfull of this elixir! (along with Canadian Maple Syrup).

While traveling through Maine, I noticed fields and fields of blueberry patches, and then a sign: 'Blueberry Capital of the World'; I'm sure its self-promotion.  But it is interesting that to note that Maine is not in the top three from Ginda's article. The Blueberry is Maine's official fruit.

jmb

also see:  http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Blueberry