nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cooking Currants Gently

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cooking Currants Gently
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 11:21:57 -0400

On May 30, 2009, at 11:13 AM, aclyburn17@verizon.net wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Perhaps the flavor of the currants is affected by how well you control the temperature they cook at?
If that's the case, may I suggest that you try cooking your currants in a crockpot?
I use my crockpot to make my applebutter and IT NEVER BURNS IN MY CROCKPOT. The flavor and texture of my applebutter is a lot nicer than anything you can buy too.
I also add some vinegar to my cooking water and that seems to help the flavor as well.
Hope this helps.

I boil the juice vigorously in an ordinary soup pot to make jelly. I don't think cooking damages the flavor much. (Red currant jelly tastes very similar to sweetened raw red currants, and I think that black currants need to be cooked to be palatable.) I would rather cook them fairly quickly at a higher temperature rather than risk cooking them for a long time in a crock pot - flavors change a lot with long cooking. (And you want it to change when you make apple butter, of course.) Red and white currants are very juicy, and except at the very start, when the fruit might be dry on the outside, I don't think there's any risk of burning them. If you are really worried about the start, you could add a little water. You'd probably want to dilute the juice a little before drinking it anyway.

Ginda