nafex - Re: [NAFEX] scion rooting

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] scion rooting
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:01:20 -0500

Alan,

I only checked a few that I moved, but you have me curious.  Next time I get a chance, I'll dig around at the base of some of the trees.  On my orchard map, I noted how deep I buried the graft on each tree.

Does Tukey explain why stooling works?  I would think if the trees were not easily able to differentiate root cell structure from non-root tissue, then stooling would be a non-starter.  Perhaps however, it works better with apple varieties used for rootstock.

Mark
KS