nafex - [NAFEX] pitless plums

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pitless plums
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:25:55 -0400

Pitless plums- I want them!  Last year I got so excited while eating especially luscious ones off the tree that I accidentally swallowed a pit- it didn't sit well.

Pitless would be an improvement in several ways- less shipping cost and on earth day you can appreciate the savings in squandered deisel fuel lugging around those unnecessary pits, also they suck up energy in refrigeration .  Pits are a nuisance because they are slimy after removing most of the fruit from clingstone varieties and must be carefully disposed of.  Smaller plums would become a convenience food not even requiring napkins (also an environmental disrupting comodity).  Get on it you genetic engineers, I just can't wait for traditional breeding techniques- can't have that many decades left.