nafex - [NAFEX] "wild" fruit

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] "wild" fruit
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:28:03 -0700 (PDT)

Sounds like a fun trip. I don't know about those particular plants, but I wouldn't be sure that "wild" plantains just happen to grow everywhere. They might be planted and tended, but look "wild" to us because they're not in neat rows or monoculture or whatever like our farms are.

Melissa
Wife and I just returned from a trip on the Amazon River where we had plantains fixed several ways, but mostly roasted. Noticed no seeds and they grow wild along the banks everywhere. We apparently didn't eat those.

Jerry

  • [NAFEX] "wild" fruit, Melissa Kacalanos, 04/22/2009