nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT Low Lignin & high Tannin forages (seed?)

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT Low Lignin & high Tannin forages (seed?)
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:33:33 -0500

At 01:28 PM 3/31/2009, Naomi wrote:
I apologize .. OT again.  I have been doing some reading about the Environmental and Nutritional benefits of  low lignin and high tannin forages as feed for ruminants.  I will be doing a replanting of my alfalfa field next year.  Does anyone know When  If Where From whom ..seed will be available?
Naomi,
What species, in particular, are you looking for?

Down here in the Southeast, the meat goat researchers are pushing the perennial sericea lespedeza - but it's on the noxious weed list in some states.  There are some low(er) tannin sericea varieties(like AU Lotan & Serala) that evidently are more palatable to cattle, but I'm not certain that goats discriminate against the straight species type.
I'm a big fan of annual lespedeza - Marion is really good, and the old standard Kobe & Korean types are not at all bad.
Another species the goat folks have recommended is sainfoin - but I know absolutely nothing about it.
I've tried birdsfoot trefoil, but had no success getting it established.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY